Thursday, July 9, 2009

Organic Dairy

Hi everyone!

All is good in my corner! I feel awesome. So does Tony by the way. I noticed my skin is clearer this week. Tony has noticed that he is sleeping better. Plus, my new favourite snack is celery and hummus. (thanks Rob! www.laganafitness.com) All in all, it's amazing what eating better can do in such a short time!


So as I mentioned previously I'm reading two books simultaneously... LOL. I cannot walk into a bookstore and just walk-out with one book! Anyhow, I am now reading two great reads on hormones and the body. I will be writing exciting new information as I find it. However, I HIGHLY recommend the books to anyone who is human...:> as hormones are crucial to our bodies and when they are unbalanced, everything else is. Most importantly, if you think you are immune to this...then you must be living on another planet because even the air we breathe has great effect on our hormones!

Case in point: Dairy

Here at Casa Nocita, we could use a cow or two! Like most households, we consume a lot of milk and other dairy products. I have always tried my best to always purchase organic milk, thanks to my nephew Jamie who clued me in on the hormones and antibiotics contained in regular milk.
However, Jillian Michaels' book; "Master Your Metabolism" brings to light many issues with dairy, weight loss and hormonal balance. For one, dairy consumption is very important. Secondly, dairy consumption is linked to weight loss. Yogurt is best. A long time ago, when I first had weight loss with Tops, I had mentally observed that when I ate one cup of yogurt a day, that week I would see a loss on the scale. When people asked me 'what is your secret', I would often respond: yogurt. At the time, they all thought I was nuts, I'm sure. Hindsight, is a great thing. So I believe, yogurt is one weapon for weight loss, weight maintenance (organic is always best!), Jillian goes into great detail in explaining how exactly the biology of it all in the book. Thirdly, it is crucial to consume organic dairy as much as possible. Cows are pumped up with so many hormones and antibiotics! Moreover, these hormones and antibiotics are not filtered during the filtering process. So next time you are drinking a glass of regular milk, think of it as a hormone drink....yuk! The hormones, and the antibiotics contained in milk have negative effects on the human body. In my opinion, there is most likely a link in the rise of obesity and the rise in hormonal and antibiotic usage on cows.

I'm sure I'll discover more useful information as I read on. For the time being, I wanted to share that all with you. At casa Nocita we are going dairy organic!

No comments: