Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Harder than Labour!
Doing core work can be harder than labour! That was my conclusion to my trainer after an intense work-out today. How else to describe today's "elite" up one notch or a thousand notches core training!
First of all, a little background. ( I don't like to keep reminding my trainer because it feels like I'm complaining, but seriously) I have had three c-sections, those muscles down there just don't work like he wants them too!
If that wasn't enough to debate my case, in 2003 I had an ectopic rupture and the surgeons performed emergency surgery on me. They went through my previous c-section incision. After which I developed a serious infection etc...so suffice to say those muscles have been dormant forever. Not to even think of all the damage that I have there.
So now back to reality. I am lying on the mat. My trainer wishes for me to put my legs up and crunch up with a medicine ball at the same time. Sounds so easy on paper. Try it! Okay, I'm up for it. After five, my muscles are in overtime angry mode! I can hear them screaming BURN! I keep pushing because apparently I still have 45 seconds to go! My whole body is sweating. I'm trying so much to look like I can do this. Meanwhile, I'm grunting like an old ox! I stop. "Come on 15 seconds to go! You can do it! Push Push!" Okay, legs back up. Damn, my body is failing me. The pain! I am trying to focus, breathe...think of a far-away place. Up! Burn! EFF! Okay, let's try thinking of me wearing a bikini! Yikes. I try to think of anything to take my mind off the torment. The muscles they keep dragging me back to the painful sensation. I keep pushing forth. Finally, I'm done. I did it! "Okay, we're going to do three more sets. I'll give you a 20 second rest." I can't do it. I know it. My whole core is in spasms. He reads my mind and says: "I'll hold up your legs for you. We'll work on that and build from there!"
Oh, dear! How uncomfortable is that?! Great! Picture this: I'm lying flat on my back, and here is a young, trainer holding up my legs so I can do crunches. I feel like such an ...idiot! My mind starts to wander in those 20 seconds. How did it get to this?
Why? I have no clue. It saddens me. Tears welt up in my eyes. I am humiliated and uncomfortable. But, I must keep going, surely something good will come of all of this. Surely. It's time to start-up again. I sure hope my legs aren't to heavy for him. I hope that I'm not too sweaty and smelly. First one up: My muscles are done! I'm already grunting and I'm sweating profusely. It feels like I'm repeatedly being stabbed in the stomach! I am no picture of beauty, let me tell you. Finally, the torture is complete. "Are you okay?" he inquires. "That is worse than labour!" That's all I can say. Two more sets to go. I hope I survive! All gracefulness is gone...
Like he knows! hahaha Poor guy! I feel so bad for him. Having to train me. He is a kind soul. Yet, I don't know if it's the eternal optimist in me or if I'm fooling myself. A small voice within pushes me to move on. Her name is Determination.
"Move forth, keep pushing, work through the pain. Ignore it. Breathe through it. Talk to your muscles. Make them push, work, build. Every cell in your body is rejoicing. They are doing what they are meant to do. Work! Pain is the burning of the toxins and the ripping of old patterns. You will get through this. Think back to your very first training session. Have things improved? (Immensely, I am much stronger and can do longer more intense work-outs). Then build on that. Stay positive. Even the most stricken 'broken' down bodies have re-abilitated themselves and been stronger than EVER!. Dream. Focus. See yourself with those six pack abs. Wearing that bikini and looking gorgeous! It can happen. But, it won't be easy. So keep your head high, keep crunching. You will see change. You will be stronger than EVER!"
I bow my head and I'm grateful for my trainer. He is an angel sent to help me and make my body stronger! God bless him!

No comments: