Tuesday, October 6, 2009

We Did IT!!!




If any of you have never signed up or done the CIBC Run for the Cure, I urge you to sign-up today! I have never experienced anything like it. I am so proud of my boys, my niece Gabriella and my nephews Luca and Nico. We did it!

I will be very honest, I am not a morning person. Realizing that we had to be at the run site for 7 ish on a Sunday morning was not my cup of tea. Moreover, trying to convince my boys that they too would have to be up by 6 am, was not going to be easy. However, they were great about the entire thing when I told them, 'they'd be getting up for their Nanna's".

My hubby lost both his Moms' to Breast Cancer. His biological Mom, Caterina, passed away when he was 8 years old. He lost his step-mom, Esterina, a few years ago. So he had to re-live this horrible disease twice in his lifetime, losing two wonderful women.

So we woke-up Sunday morning to fog and rain. However, all the rain in the world would not prevent us from doing what we had to do that day. Looking back, I'm so glad we did. We decided to take the bus to the run site (great idea by the way!)...so here we were standing at the station waiting for the bus, when suddenly out of nowhere people starting to join us, all in the CIBC Run for the Cure hope tees. Seems we weren't the only one's with this great idea. Anyhow, our true moment of the cause came when a young father showed up with his two children. Written on the back of the man's tee was: "I'm running for my wife", on the boy's: "I'm running for my Mom" and the little girl's said: "I'm running for my Mommy". Everyone sorta looked at each other, running for our own loved one's and causes, however we all felt the emotion of the moment. With tears strolling down my face, I looked proudly at my fourteen year old who also had read the shirts...and we all glanced at each other knowing that this was the reason we were all doing the run. You could hear a pin drop. Everyone had tears streaming down their face. The clouds broke and the sun began to shine down upon us.

The poignant moments would continue as we boarded the bus. Here we were on a public transportation bus loaded with everyone running for the cure that day. It was just a sea of white tees with the breast cancer ribbon etched with the words "hope, espoir". Unbelievable! Every stop, after stop the people were lined up going to the run for the cure. It was stirring, moving and emotional. To be a part of it all...was such an amazing feeling!

Once we arrived at the run site, the energy of the moment was contagious. The adrenaline was rushing through us all as we made our way to the start line.

Through the line we could see the names, the causes and the reasons why people had chosen to walk/run. It was incredibily powerful, words cannot describe it. One guy did a portage and carried his canoe the entire 5 K with his loved one's names etched on the canoe. We also seen many survivors, and many woman currently battling the disease. It was poignant moment after poignant moment. It was an honour to walk 5 km with my boys amoung these heroes.

Together, Ottawa raised 1.5 million dollars. It was a day I will never forget. When I arrived home, my hubby kissed me and thanked me for doing this for his moms', it was my honour. Next year he vouched to walk with us all. Together, as a family...we will support the cure for this disease that has touched so many lives.


To leave you all on a happy note, I will post a few conversations I had with Carmelo along our 5 k walk. Diodato, Gabriella ran ahead of us! Luca and Nico joined in, but they ran too. So it was Carmy and I the whole way. He held my hand (rather squeezed) tightly for dear life...afraid to lose me in the thousands of walkers.

Of course, it took about fifteen minutes for us to go through the start line, as there was so many people.

Carmy- "...wow...are we done yet?"

Me- " Look up..." as I'm pointing to the start sign..."we are at the starting line now."

Carmy- "YOU've got to be KIIIIIIIIIDING meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! How long is this walk anyhow?"

-------

Carmy- "OKAY! We've been walking for longer than 1 k...you said! It was to my school and back...I've now walked from my school back again ten times at LEAST!!!!!"

( We walked the 5 k...)

Oh...and upon seeing the men pulling the buggies...I guess in case someone is unable to finish.

Carmy- "hey...MOM>.>>>tell them I want a ride!"

Me- (trying to whisper) "Carmelooooo, those are for the people who are sick and cannot finish the walk"

Carmy- "EXAAAAAAAAACTLY!!! I AM SICK>>>I am finished...and I can't walk anymore...if he doesn't believe you...pull out five bucks and pay HIM!"

----------

Me- "Carmelo! I see the finish line"

Carmy- "Thank the LORD! I did it...I actually did it...okay...I'm doing this...I did it...yahoo for me...I did it."

Carmy- "hey MOM...can we do this every year?"

:>

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may not have realized it yet, however, you are a hero too!

Joania said...

Kimmy!!! Wasn't just an amazingly awesome day?? So sorry I missed you...I REALLY wish I could have seen you!!! But it was one of the best moments of my life...incredible Congrats to you and your fam for running it...I love your comment how you wrote I"ran" passed you...I could barely walk a short distance 9 months ago...just insane

Anonymous said...

Had to wipe away the tears before I could type.

Beautiful post. Thanks!