Friday, October 16, 2009

Shifting Towards Balance


What is it to be perfectly balanced? Is there such a thing? Equilibrium of the body seems so simple, yet so complicated.
Yesterday, I took the advice of my in-laws (Debbie and Dino...thank you again), and ventured to meet a man named Bruce at Back in Balance. It was an enlightening moment of enlightening moments.

Here I was thinking, I was on the right track (which I am, in case you are wondering), and that I was pretty balanced with my mind, body, soul connection. However, the body scan told a different story. The body scan told the truth without rose coloured glasses.

In fact, I am very unbalanced (inside!). My metabolism is low (which I kind of clued in), I am dehydrated (6-8 glasses just isn't enough for my body), my digestive system is stressed, I have a mineral deficiency and an essential fatty acid deficiency. Whoa! What does this all mean?

For one, it means that even though I am steering my body in the right direction: eating right, drinking fluids and working-out. The inside, tells a different tale. At a cellular level, my body is attempting to cope with the change, however, years and years of mistreating it has created some imbalance, stress and deficiencies. Sitting there listening to the results, the only thing I could think of was: 'wow, my poor body...what have I done!?" It's as plain as English. You cannot deny the results, however you can make the further shift to improve your body's equilibrium.

Most importantly right now for me, I am significantly deficient in chromium.
"Chromium helps the body regulate metabolism, insulin and blood sugar levels. Chromium helps the body lose weight by stimulating enzymes that metabolize glucose for energy. It plays an important role in the liver synthesis of fatty acids (burns fat). Chromium helps the body's metabolism after the food is in the blood stream. Chromium helps the pancreas and other organs keep all of this in balance. This is why chromium is so very important to our bodies.
When our body is deficient in chromium, it takes twice as long for insulin to remove glucose from the blood. This slows down the whole sugar glucose process causing the whole body to become more reactive to every other thing that is happening within it. Chromium enhances insulin performance and glucose utilization. It also helps to carry proteins in the body. "

Dr. Lynn Braught, (2009) Why do we need Chromium? from http://www.staytuned.ws/articles/chromium.html

AHA! That explains so much. For years of being on metformin, progesterone, this hormone pill, and that one...just to see no change. I got off the meds a long time ago...and nothing worked for me. Not to mention, all that frustration at working-out, stepping on the scale and seeing the needle just jiggle a millimetre. Just looking at a chocolate bar and gaining weight. No wonder. Yesterday, something clicked. The lightbulb went off, and it struck me to my core.

So I'm on supplements, and crossing my fingers. Further, this is day 2 of the supplements, and I can already feel the positive shift. In addition, my diet-nutrition is right on. I am dairy sensitive (as I suspected) and will have to make an effort to stay away from dairy. No soy either. The almond breeze as recommended by Rob is perfect.
There are many other issues/tendencies that were mentioned and I'll blogg and inform as I go. The next few weeks will tell the tale of the chromium deficiency.

As for everything else, I'm awakened from my turkey coma. Back on track and looking forward to a new balanced me.


Take care of yourself because balance is everything!


Kimmy

No comments: