Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring Equinox

First off, I need to send my fellow blogger Joania a huge cyber hug.

Joania, you have been in my thoughts and my prayers. I miss your blogs, your motivation and your inspiration. Whatever you are going through, I honour you, and I send you much love and light. Remember you are strong and beautiful inside and out!


Spring Equinox in the northern hemisphere,
Autumn Equinox in the southern hemisphere

Spring has sprung in and around me! Welcome to the first day of spring, spring equinox in the northern hemisphere. Spring, a time for rejuvenation and new beginnings. I love the promise, and glory of the spring. The melting of the snow with the warming of the sun, the first blades of green grass, the return of the geese, and the sighting of the first robin always brings warmth to my heart and a renewed sense of powerful energy.

I have been busy reading, and reading. I find it quite ironic how my 'weight' loss journey has evolved. I really have been focusing on eating well, and clean. With it, comes a great relief, and sense of over all well being. However, I will let you know that not much has changed on the scale front (blah!). Nonetheless, I look in the mirror and I do see an honest changes in my skin, my eyes and overall in my energy.

What am I doing? I am making sure to eat as much organic as I can. I am also sticking to real food (see my book recommendation below: Food Rules). In addition, I am buying grain fed, and free range meat. However, I have yet to find beef in my area that fit that criteria. Nonetheless, little changes surely add up and I can attest to a difference. I am not perfect by any means, and have the occasional slip here and there. Note, the great movie popcorn with a dash of cadbury eggs on top. A wonderful treat taught by a dear old friend of mine (A. I miss you! xox).

I have been working out, mostly cardio and must get back into a strong routine of weight training too. Being a busy mom, it's difficult to get it all in, so I really focus on doing what I can. My goal for the weeks ahead is to prioritize my time, and I'm seriously thinking of closing my facebook account. I spend way to much time on there. Maybe I will take some advice from my friend Jack Bauer, and go dark.

Also, I am enjoying my Friday night Yoga sessions. I have found an amazing Hatha Yoga instructor. Friday night yoga is gentle, calming and so invigorating. Perfect for the end of the week!

Lastly, here are the books I have been reading.

  • Food Rules by Michael Pollan
  • In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan

Mr. Pollan was on Oprah recently, and opened my eyes to Real Food and what is in our 'food'. I have yet to watch the movie "Food Inc." recommended by the author. It is on my to do list.

One thing that struck me the most was the realization that our grandmothers and grandfathers used to eat butter, drink plenty of milk, even cream, eat bread, meat and potatoes, they had sugar, and they didn't know about fats, carbs, etc... and astonishingly obesity was rare. Why is this? The simple answer; the food was real.

I am also reading:

  • Change Your Brain Change Your Body by Daniel G. Amen, M.D.

All I can say is Wow!

I have also started reading the anti-diet book that Oprah wants everyone to read.

  • Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth

I have to say, that I am slowly reading this book as light bulbs are going off, and I'm having to really reflect on almost every page.

“It's never been about the weight. It's not even about food.”
— Geneen Roth

Be well and try to eat as much 'real' food as you can,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Kimmy and some great book recommendations.

I miss Joania too!!!

I was thinking the same thing the other day about how people ate many years ago. Everything was homemade, full fat and not processed.

I am trying to eat as much "real" food as possible. It just tastes so good!

Stefania (Ingredients for Life) said...

Missing Joania too.

All that reading is amazing. It helps so much with daily decisions of what to feed yourself and your family.

Love the gift from your Hubby. That is so sweet. So whenever you wear it he'll be there during the sweat and tears of any workout or just lounging around.