Monday, November 22, 2010

The Universal Hammer


Have you ever been touched by an angel? Have you ever been given a message by a complete stranger, just when you needed it most? Have you ever been taught an important "Aha" moment by someone you don't even know? I've always known the Universe works in mysterious ways. I'm also a firm believer that when you need a pat on the back, a kind reminder or a hammer on the head - the Universe will find a way to deliver that message to you. More importantly, it comes as a whisper at first, then a gentle reminder, repeating and repeating, until finally - a hammer on the head!


The other day it happened to me; and it was a whopper, head banging message.


One of my best friend's and I set out shopping. As usual, we shared stories about our kids, and husbands. I found myself complaining, and venting mostly about my husband, and my kids. I was also feeling overwhelmed on the inside about the upcoming holiday season, and the demands it puts on the household; in particular me. As we chatted back and forth, we found comfort in each other, and managed to laugh our way through it.



As we arrived in the Christmas aisle at Costco, I came upon their Nativity set. Every year, I stare, hesitate and keep walking. Every year, I say the same thing: "I love that set, it's the most beautiful one, and I'm going to buy it." Every year, I don't buy it, and spend the one hundred dollars on a gift instead. This year was certainly no exception. As I admired it, I spoke out loud; "...it's so beautiful. I love it!" A woman beside me, agreed. I silently stared for a while longer, debating in my mind back and forth. Finally, I exclaimed; "...well guess I will call hubby, see what mood he is in, and ask for purchase approval." My friend and I both laughed out loud.


As I took my cell phone out of my purse, I felt a warm hand on my arm. It was the woman who had admired the Nativity set with me. "I would be calling my husband also right now for purchase approval, however my hubby died a few days before Christmas last year, so appreciate that you can call. I wish I could call my husband right now." Foot in my mouth. We all stood mouth agape. I choked back tears at her pain, and that of her family. "I'm sorry to hear that..." as I gently touched her arm back. She half-smiled and proceeded to speak of the fact that she was debating whether to buy the Nativity set in order to make a Christmas for her kids, despite the sorrow that surrounded them, and the fact that her mother-in-law felt it unnecessary to celebrate Christmas again this year. I cannot fathom the anguish, and the sadness that surrounds this family, especially during what is supposed to be the most magical time of the year.


I nodded, and realized an important lesson. I immediately grabbed the Nativity set, plopped it in my cart. We both smiled at each other, as she followed suit. Now every year, my Nativity set will be the first Christmas decor out. I will remember the important lesson this human angel taught me in the aisle of Costco on this fateful day. I will always cherish the holiday season, and it's true meaning, surrounded by my children and my husband. I will honour, cherish my hubby as much as I can despite my annoyances. I'm lucky to have my husband, and my children. We are fortunate to have each other...we must never take that for granted-ever!


This year, as we prepare for our busiest time of year - let us not forget this lesson. Cherishing those we love and honouring our time together always.


I know I will....



























No comments: