Monday, June 7, 2010

A Great Saturday Run With My Boys


Running. I love running...


The last little while with Carmelo in competitive soccer, and Diodato and myself wanting to be fit, I've been meaning to take my boys running. Real running on a real track.

We tried doing the running on the street with Carmelo. However, being close to home...never seemed to pan out, Carmelo would soon be back on our step with a 'no freakin' way I'm doing this." Trust me, he's no piece of cake when it comes to fitness.

A few times, the kids in our neighbourhood have attempted to work with Carmy. Hamooda had the great idea to build Carmy's leg muscles...jump ups on our steps. "I have no clue what this has to do with soccer, so...no thanks!" Fine, twenty sit-ups would be the punishment. Hill side up. "I'm only doing 2...I did not sign up for this." ARGH!!!! The only kid who remotely got close to training him was Massimo, and soon afterwards Carmelo sweaty, was at the patio door with a look of an imprisoned, abused child on his face. Let's not get into RUNNING. "What does soccer have ANYTHING to do with running? eh?! Tell me...that one!" We tell him everything, but he's a stubborn as they come. The only successful trainer he's had is Mark Hatfield of Hatfield's, and my hat goes out to him!

So, the other day I had an "AHA" moment. "Boys, how about we go to the track, do a run then I will take you to "Booster Juice". It was a great idea. But, would it work? Would I have a whiny four year old, and a crusty Carmelo? I had to chance it. I had to walk (or in this case) run the talk. We all geared up with running shoes, water bottles and i-touches.

It was a clear, cool sunny day. The weather was perfect for a run around the track. No excuses. The first run around the track, I thought for sure, I was going to die right there. I have to say, running on the real thing as opposed to a treadmill is way harder. When I finally reached the the starting point again, my lungs felt like they were bleeding. Seriously! I thought for sure, if I spit...there would be blood. Every breath hurt like my lungs were being stabbed over and over! However, Diodato (my 14 year old) ran by, and continued on. "umm, I thought...this was my idea, and here I am panting like a hot cow in July!". So, I pumped up my i-pod, and sprinted on.
There is something mysteriously motivating and enlivening about running on a track. I cannot explain fully into words the energy that one spans from the track. Whether it be the energy of the moment, or the aura of the runners past who have ran this very track too. With every new breathe, with every step forward and push forth of my arms, my body got into a running groove. Soon, my lungs settled down, and my legs worked hard on the track underneath it. The wind blew a gentle breeze amongst the trees around us. Even the clouds above seemed in sync with our run. It felt wonderful to be training outdoors. I let go, and felt free as I jogged on. Even Carmelo ran and loved it! Now that is a huge milestone.

During our run, Tony (my hubby) came by and watched us. The kids treasured it. I realized that this was the most fun (believe it or not) that my family and I had had in a long time. It was just us, no stress, no mess, the track and a familial achievement. We all did approximately 3k together. We all jogged at our own paces. Even my four year old Antonio ran with us. At one point he held my hand as we jogged around the track together, it was priceless. Nevertheless, there is never a dull moment in my household, and today was no exception. While running Carmelo turned to me: "Mom, when we are done burning fat, how about we go to Dairy Queen and celebrate!" That child!!! After their run, the boys and Tony then played a soccer scrimmage, while I did a few more sprint/walks around the track. It was wonderful.

It really is exhilarating to get moving as a family. I felt motivated by Diodato, inspired by Carmelo and joyful by Antonio. I felt loved by Tony who watched us run around the track with awe and pride.

I hope time will allow us to continue this running journey we have embarked on. Our goal as a family (Diodato, Carmelo and I) is to be able to easily run 5k, so that we can run the CIBC Run for the Cure, Breast Cancer Run in October in honour of my two mother-in-law's who have passed from the disease.

Be well and run on,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your family!